Bibliography of Wisconsin Mineralogy P-Z
compiled by William S. Cordua, University of Wisconsin- River Falls
Palache, C. H. Berman, and C. Frondels, 1944 The System of Mineralogy of James Dwight Dan and Edward Salisbury Dana, 7th Edition, Vol I (834 p.)and Vol II (1124p.)
Pallen, Len, 1963, "World News on Mineral Localities - Wisconsin", Rocks and Minerals, #297, p. 582-583.
Patton, T., M.K. Sood; B. Biddulph, 1989, "Petrogenetic evolution of the Proterozoic Wausau Igneous Complex Wisconsin", 35th Annual Institute on Lake Superior Geology, Part 1, Proceedings and Abstracts, p. 67-69.
Paull, Rachel Krebs andRichard Paull, 1977, Geology of Wisconsin and Upper Michigan, Dubuque, Iowa; kendall/ Hunt Pub, 232 p.
Paull, R.A., 1977, "The Upper Ordovician Neda Formations of Eastern Wisconsin",
Guidebook, 41st Annual Tristate Field Conference, Milwaukee.
- and John A. Emerick, 1991, "Genesis of the Upper Ordovician Neda Formation in Eastern Wisconsin", Geoscience Wisconsin, Vol. 14, p. 23-52.
Peck, Stewart B., 1979, "Stalactites and Helectites of Marcasite, Galena and Sphalerite in Illinois and Wisconsin", National Speleological Soc. Bull., Vol 41, p. 27-30.
Perry, S.H., 1944, "The Metallography of Meteoric Iron", U.S. National Museum Bulletin, 184, P. 1-115.
Pond, Alonzo, 1945, "Calcide oolites or 'cave pearls' found in the Cave of the Mounds",
Jour. Sed Pet. Vol. 15 #2, p. 55-58.
- , 1964, "Wisconsin Underground", Wis. Tales and Trails, Vol.5 #1, p. 23-27.
Poster, Carl, 1965, "Calcite in Cranberry Cave", Wis.
Speleologist, Vol.4 #4, p.74.
- 1966, "Aragonite in a Wisconsin Cave", Wis. Speleologist, Vol. 5 #4, P. 115.
Prinz, W. C., 1965, "Marinette Quartz Diorite and Hoskin Lake Granite of Northern Wisconsin" in Cohee, G.V. and W.S. West, Changes in stratigraphic nomenclature by the U.S. Geol. Survey,, U.S. G. S. Bull 1224A., p. A53 - A- 55.
Raasch, Gilbert Oscar, 1928, "The Appel Collection of Lead Region Minerals", Yearbook of the Public Museum of the City of Milwaukee, Vol. 7, p. 185-192.
Rawson, K.O., 1931, Minerals from the Devonian of Wisconsin, unpublished B.A. thesis, U.W. - Madison, 13p.
Read, William F.,1962," Wisconsin Meteorite investigations":
Wis. Academy Review, Vol. 9 #4, p. 152-155.
- , 1963, "The Zendon Meteorite": Wis. Acad. Sc. Arts and Letter Trans. Vol 52. p. 153-158.
- and L.W. Weiss, 1962, Northeastern Wisconsin: Mc Caslin Syncline - Tigerton Anorthosite Guidebook 20th Annual Tri-State Field Conference, Appleton, Wi 22p.
- and H.O. Stockwell, 1966, "The Trenton Meteorites": Wis. Acad. Sc. Arts. and Letters Trans. Vol. 55, p. 77-85.
Ringquist, Lloyd, 1952, "Glacial garnets of Wisconsin", Lapidary Journal, vol. 6 #2, p. 108-110.
Roe, Lawrence A., 1990, A History of Wisconsin Mining, Madison, WI 53705, Rocco, 5900 Driftwood Ave., 113p.
Rohn, Oscar, 1903, "The Baraboo Iron Range, (Sauk County, WI)", Engineering and Mining Journal, Vol. 76, p. 615-617.
Rosemeyer, Tom, 1995, "Microminerals of the Flambeau Mine, Ladysmith, Rusk County, Wisconsin",
Rocks and Minerals, vol. 70, p. 335- 339.
- 1997, “Through the Scope: In Memoriam – The Flambeau Mine, Rusk County, Wisconsin, June, 1993 – March, 1997”, Rocks and Minerals, vol. 72 #5, p. 344 - 347.
Rosenberg, Jill, 1991, Possible Hydrothermal Origin for the Iron Deposits Near Spring Valley, Wisconsin, unpub. senior research paper, UWRF, 5 p.
Rossman, R. and E. Callender, 1968,"Manganese Nodules in Lake Michigan",
Science, Vol. 162, p. 1123-1124.
- E. Callender and C. Bowser, 1972, "Inter - element geochemistry of Lake Michigan ferromanganese nodules", Internat.. Geol. Congress, 24th Sect 10, p. 336-341.
Salisbury, Rollin D., 1885, "Notes on the dispersion of drift copper", Wis. Acad. Sci. Arts and Letters, Vol. 6, p. 42-50.
Schlegel, Dorothy M., 1957, Gemstones of the United States, U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin 1042G, p. 203-253.
Schmidt, R.G., 1980, The Marquette Range Supergroup in the Gogebic iron district, Michigan and Wisconsin, U.S. Geol, surv. Bull, 1460, 96 p.
Schulz, K.J. and P. K. Sims, 1982, "Nature and Significance of Shallow Water Sedimentary Rocks in Northeastern Wisconsin", Proceedings, 28th Annual Instit. on Lake Superior Geo., Minn. Geo. Survey, St. Paul , Minn. p. 43.
Schulz,K. and LaBerge, G, 2003, "Field trip 1 - Wausau-Pembine Terrane" in Institute of Lake Superior Geology, Annual Proceedings, vol. 49, part 2, p. 33-46.
Scott, E. Colvin, 1977, "Plum Creek Gems", Rock and Gem, vol. 6 #5, p. 48-49.
Scovil,Jeffrey A., 1994, "What's New in Minerals - Cincinnati Show", Mineralogical Record, vol. 25, #5, p. 380-381.
Shaw, C.W., 1942, "The Talc Deposit Near Milladren, Wisconsin", Wis. Geol. Nat. His. Survey Open File Report 42-1, 25 p.
Shrock, Robert R., 1940, "Geology of Washington Island and its neighbors, Door Co., Wisconsin.": Wisc. Acad. Sci. Arts and Letters, Trans, Vol. 33, p. 199-227.
Simo, J.A. et. al., 1997, "Sedimentology, Sequence Stratigraphy and Paleoceanography of the Middle and Upper Ordovician of Eastern Wisconsin" in Mudrey, M. edited, Guide to field Trips in Wisconsin Wisconsin and adjacent Minnesota, 31st North Central G. S. A. Meeting, Madison wisconsin, p .95 - 114.
Sims, P.K. compiler, 1989, Geologic Map of Precambrian Rocks of Rice Lake 1o x 2o Quadrangle, Northern Wisconsin, U.S. Geological Survey, Miscellaneous Investigations Series, Map I-1924.
- . compiler, 1990a, Geologic Map of Precambrian Rocks of Eau Claire and Green Bay 1o x 2o Quadrangles, Central Wisconsin, U.S. Geological Survey, Miscellaneous Investigations Series, Map I-1925.
- compiler, 1990b, Geologic Map of Precambrian Rocks of Neillsville- Stevens Point Area, Central Wisconsin, U.S. Geological Survey, Miscellaneous Investigations Series, Map I-1926.
- . and Z.E. Peterman, 1980, "Geology and Rb-Sr age of lower Proterozoic granitic rocks, Northern Wisconsin" in G.B. Morey and G.N. Hanson, edited, Selected Studies of Archean Gneisses and Lower Proterozoic Rocks, Southern Canadian Shield, Geol. Soc. Amer. Special Paper 182, p. 139-146.
- K.J. Schulz and Z. E. Peterman, 1984, Guide to the Geology of the Early Proterozoic Rocks in Northeastern, Wisconsin ,Guidebook, Field trip 1, 30th Annual Institute on Lake Superior Geology Wausau, WI 93p.
- , Z. Peterman, R. Zartman,and F. Benedict, 1985, Geology and Geochronology of granitoid and metamorphic rocks of late Archean age in Northwestern Wisconsin U.S. Geol. Survey Professional Paper 1292-C, p. C-1 - C-17.
- , J.S. Klasner,W. C Day and Z. Peterman, 1991, "Field Trip #1: The Mountain Shear Zone, Oconto Cty., WI: a Post-Penokean discrete ductile deformation zone" 39th Ann. Inst. Lake Supeior Geol. Proceedings, Pt. 2, p. 1-32.
- K.J. Schulz and Z.E. Peterman, 1992, Geology and Geochemistry of Early Proterozoic Rocks in the Dunbar Area, Northeastern Wisconsin, U.S.G.S. Prof. Paper, 1517, 65 p.
- K.J., Schulz, E. DeWitt and Bruce Brasaemle, 1993, Petrography and Geochemistry of Early Proterozoic Granitic Rocks in the Wisconsin Magmatic Terranes of the Penokean Orogen, Northern Wisconsin, U.S.G.S. Bulletin 1904 J. p. J-1 - J-30.
Sikkila, K, 2002, "Description of a pegmatite on the eastern margin of the Mellen granite, state highway 13, Ashland County, Wisconsin", Institute on Lake superior Geology, programs and abstracts, vol 48 pt. 1, p. 48.
Skillings Mining Review, 1994, "Crandon Mining Co.'s Copper/Zinc Project in Wisconsin",
Skillings Mining Review, vol. 83, #44, p. 4- 7.
-, 1995, "Flambeau Mining Co. Starting Second Full Calendar Year of Operating One of the world's Higher Grade Copper/Gold Mines at Ladysmith, Wisconsin", Skillings Mining Review, vol. 84, #4, p. 4- 7.
Smith, Eugene I., 1978a, "Introduction to Precambrian Rocks of South - Central Wisconsin" Geoscience
Wisconsin, Vol. 2, p. 1-17.
- 1978b, "Precambrian Rhyolites and Granite in south-central Wisconsin; Field Relations and Geochemistry" ; Geol. Soc. Amer. Bull., vol. 89, pp 875-890.
Smith, J. Lawrence, 1869, "A New Meteoric Iron--'The Wisconsin Meteorites" with some remarks on Widmannstatin Figures",
American Journal of Science, vol. 47 series 2, p. 271-272.
-1876, "An Account of a New Meteoric Stone that Fell on the 25th of March, 1865 in Wisconsin", American Journal of Science, vol. 12, series 3, p. 207-209.
Smith, Matthew Clair, 1947, Copper deposits of Douglas Co., Wisconsin: U.S. Bur. Mines Rpt. Inv. 4088, 7p.
Soderman, J. William and A. Carozzi 1963, "Petrography of Algal biohems in the Burnt Bluff Group (Silurian), Wis." Bull. A. A. P. G. vol. 47 #9, p. 1682-1708.
Sood, M. K. , P.E. Myers and L.A. Berlin, 1980, The Petrology, Geochemistry and Contact Relations of the Stettin and Wausau Syenite Plutons, central Wisconsin, 20th Annual Institute on Lake Superior Geology, Field Trip #3 Guidebook, Wis. Geol. Nat. Survey, Madison, WI , 59p.
Spiroff, K., 1952, "Stilbite-Mellen, Wisconsin", Rocks and Minerals, vol. 27, p. 60.
Stark, J. T., 1932, "Igneous rocks in the Baraboo District, Wisconsin", Jour. Geol. vol. 40 #2, p. 119-139.
Stobbe, H. and E. Murray, 1956, "A New Occurrence of Eucolite near Wausau, Marathon County, Wisconsin," American Mineralogist, vol. 41, p. 932-935.
Strong, Moses Jr. , 1877, "Geology and Topography of the Lead Region" in
Geology of Wisconsin: Wisc. Geol. Surv., vol. 2 pt. 4, pp. 643-752.
- 1880, "The Geology of the Upper St. Croix District" in Geology of Wisconsin, Survey of 1873-1879, vol. III part VI, p. 364-428.
- , 1883, "Lead and Zinc Ores"in Geology of Wisconsin, vol. I, p. 637-655.
Stuhr, S. W. and E.N. Cameron, 1976, "Geology of the Round Lake Intrusion, Sawyer Co., WI" (Abst.) in Inst. Lake Superior Geology, 22nd Ann.Tech. Sess. Abs. and Field Guides: St. Paul, Minn. Geol. Survey, p. 62.
Sukow, Wayne, 1987, "Inside Lake Superior Agates", Lapidary Journal, vol. 40, #10, p. 50-56.
Sweet, E. T., 1880, "Geology of the Western Lake Superior District" in Geology of Wisconsin, survey of 1873-1879, vol. III. part V, p. 305-362.
Tabet, David and Joel Mangham, 1978, "The Geology of the Eastern Mellen Complex, Wisconsin", Geoscience Wisconsin, vol. 3, Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey, Madison, WI , p. 1-19.
Taylor, A. R., 1964, Geology of the Mifflin and Rewey Quadrangles, WI, USGS Bull 1123-F, 47 p.
Taylor, Sheryl M., 1983, The Geochemistry and Petrology of Hamilton Mounds, Wisconsin, unpublished M. S. Thesis, Northern Ill. Univ., 74p.
Thomas, K. , 1902, "Glacial Gold in Wisconsin", Eng. Mining Journal, vol. 74, p. 248.
Thwaites, F. and W. Twenhofel, 1921, "Windrow Formation; an upland gravel formation of the Driftless and adjacent area of the upper Mississippi Valley": G.S.A. Bull., vol. 32 #2, p. 293-314.
Twenhofel, W. H., 1936, "The Greensands of Wisconsin": Economic Geology, vol. 31, #5, p. 472-487.
Tyler, S. A., 1940, "Studies of the Lake Superior Precambrian by accessory mineral methods", Geol. Soc. Amer. Bull. vol. 51 #10, p.1429-1537.
Ueng, W. L., D.K. Larve, R.L. Sedlock, and D.A. Kasper,1984, Early Paleozoic Tectonostratigraphic Terranes of the Southern Lake Superior Region: Field Trip Guide with Summary, 30th Annual Meeting of the Institute on Lake Superior Geology, Wausau, WI , 24p.
U. S. Bureau of Mines, 1963, Milladore Talc Deposits, WGNHS Open Files Report.
U. S. Geological Survey, 1976, Mineral and Water Resources of Wisconsin, U. S. Gov't Printing Office, Washington, D. C., 185 pp.
U. W. Eau Claire, 1977, Guidebook, 9th Annual Wisc. Undergraduate Geology Field Conference Guidebook, privately printed, 45 p.
U. W. Oshkosh, 1976, Guidebook, 8th U. W. Geol. Field Conference, privately printed, UW-Oshkosh, unpaginated.
- 1989, Geology of the Fox River Valley, 21st Annual Wisc. Undergraduate Geology Field Conference Guidebook, privately printed, UW-Oshkosh, 101 p.
- 1994, Geology of the Upper Fox River Basin: Guidebook for the Twenty Fourth Wisconsin Undergraduate Geological Field Conference, privately printed, , U.W.-Oshkosh Geology Department, Oshkosh, WI.
U. W. Platteville Geosciences Dept., 1988, Field Trip Guidebook for Cambrian-Ordovician Geology of Southwestern Wisconsin, 20th Annual Wisc. Undergraduate Geology Field Conference Guidebook, Platteville, WI, 62 p.
U. W. Whitewater, 1980, Guidebook, 12th Wisc. Undergraduate Geology Field Conference Guidebook, U.W. Whitewater, privately printed, unpaginated.
- 1986, Geology of the Whitewater Area, Guidebook for the 18th Wisc. Undergraduate Geology Field Conference Guidebook, U.W. Whitewater, privately printed, unpaginated.
Van Alstine, R. E., 1976, "Fluorite" in Mineral and Water Resources of Wisconsin: Washington, D. C., U.S. Geo. Survey, p. 85-87.
Van Hise, C. R. and R. Irving, 1892, The Penokee iron-bearing series of Northern Wisconsin and Michigan, U.S.Geo. Survey Monograph 19, 634 pp.
- and C.K. Leith, 1911, The Geology of the Lake Superior Region, U.S.Geo. Survey Monograph 52, 641p.
Van Schmus, W. R., 1980, "Chronology of Igneous Rocks Associated with the Penokean Orogeny in Wisconsin", Selected Studies of Archean Gneisses and Lower Proterozoic Rocks, Southern Canadian Shield, edited by G. B. Morey and G. N. Hanson, Geol. Soc. Amer. Special Paper 182, p. 159-168.
Van Wyck, Nicholas, 1995, Oxygen and Carbon Isotopic Constraints on the Development of Eclogites, Holsny, Norway and Major and Trace Element, Common Lead, Sm-Nd and Zircon Geochronology constraints on petrogenesis and tectonic setting of Pre and early Proterozoic rocks in Wisconsin, unpublished PhD dissertation, UW- Madison, 280 p.
Venditti, A. R.,1973, 1973, Petrochemistry of Precambrian Rocks in Southeastern Oneida County, Wisconsin. Unpub. M. S. Thesis, U. W. Milwaukee, 93p.
Vickers, R. C., 1956, "Airborne and Ground Reconnaissance of Part of the Syenite Complex near Wausau, Wisconsin." U. S. G. S. Bulletin, 1042-B, p.25-44.
Vierthaler, A. A., 1958, Wisconsin Diamonds: Wisconsin Academy Review, Vol. 5 #2, p. 53-55.
- "There are Diamonds in Wisconsin", Lapidary Journal, vol. 15, #1, p. 18-26.
Weidman S., 1904, The Baraboo iron-bearing district of Wisconsin: Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey Bulletin 13, 190 p.
- 1904 b, "Widespread Occurrence of Fayalite in certain igneous rocks of Central Wisconsin": Jour. of Geology, Vol. 12 #6, p. 551-561.
- 1907a, "Irvingite, a New Variety of Lithia-mica", American Journal of Science, vol. 23, Series 4, p.451-453.
- 1907 b, The Geology of North Central Wiconsin, Wis. Geol. and Nat. History Survey, Bull 16 (Sci. ser. 4) 697p.
- and V. Lenher, 1907, "Marignacite, a New Variety of Pyrochlore from Wausau, Wis.", American Journal of Science, vol. 23, Series 4, p. 287-292.
Weis, Leonard and Gene LaBerge,1969, Central Wisconsin Volcanic Belt, Field Trip Guidebook, 15th Annual Institute on Lake Superior Geology, 30p.
West, W.S., 1978, Previously unreported mineralization found in the Darlington quadrangle of Southwestern Wisconsin, U. S. G. S. Prof. Paper 1100, p. 5.
- andP.M. Placet,1971, Geologic Map of the Lancaster Quadrangle, Grant County, Wisconsin, U. S. Geol. Survey, Map G. Q. 949., 1 sheet.
- and Allen V. Heyl, 1985, Geologic Map of the Hurricaine Quadrangle Grant County, Wisconsin, U. S. Geol. Survey Map GQ-1582. 1 sheet.
- J. Whitlow, C. Brown, and Allen V. Heyl, 1971, Geologic Map of the Ellenboro Quadrangle Grant County, Wisconsin, U. S. Geol. Survey Map GQ-959. 1 sheet.
Weyendt, Dorothy, 1971, "Wisconsin Rockhound Bonanza", Gems and Minerals, #402, p. 32-35.
Wheeler, H. A., 1908, "The Ore Bodies of Etna Hill, Wisconsin", Mines and Minerals, vol. 28 , p. 320.
Whelan, J. A. and S.S. Goldich, 1961, "New Data For Hisingerite and Neotocite", The American Mineralogist, vol. 46, p. 1412-1423.
White, Walter S., 1978, A Theoretical Basis for Exploration for Native Copper in Northern Wisconsin, U. S. Geo. Survey Curcular 769, 19p.
Whitlow, J. W. and W.S. West, 1966 a, Geologic Map of the Kieler Quadrangle, Grant County, Wisconsin and Jo Daviess County, Il. U. S. Geol. Survey, Map G.Q.-487. 1 sheet.
- , 1966 b, Geologic Map of the Dickeyville Quadrangle, GrantCounty, Wisconsin", U. S. Geological Survey, Map GQ-488. 1 sheet.
Wilcox. Ray A., 1936, "An Occurrence of large zircon needles in a basic pegmatite", Am. Min., vol.21 #7, p.459.
Wilson, Guy, 1958, "Nephrite Jade Discovered in Wisconsin", Lapidary Journal, vol. 1, p.76.
Wisconsin Geological and Natural History Survey, 1989, Geology of Wisconsin Outcrop Description Series, Madison, Wi.
Woodman, E. E., 1882, "The Pipestone of Devil's Lake", Transactions, Wisconsin Academy of Science, Arts and Letters, vol. 3, p. 251-254.
Zeitner, June Culp, 1988, Midwest Gem, Fossil and Mineral Trails: Great Lakes States, Gem Guide Book Co., 90p.
Zimmermann, R. A., 1969, "Sediment-ore-structure relations in barite and associated ores and sediments in the Upper Mississippi Valley Zinc-Lead District, near Shullsburg, Wi", Mineralium Deposita, vol. 4, p. 248-259.
Return to Wisconsin Mineral Index Page