Bibliography of Wisconsin Mineralogy H-O
compiled by William S. Cordua, University of Wisconsin- River Falls
Habermann, Gail Marie, 1978, Mineralogic and Textural Variations of the Duricrust in SW Wisconsin, unpublishted PhD Thesis, U. W.-Madison, 153 p.
Hansell, J. M., 1928a, Township Report, T37N R16W, unpublished report, WGNHS, 32 p.
-1928b, Township Report, T37N R17W, unpublished report, WGNHS, 28 p.
Hanson, S.L., A.U. Falster, W.B. Simmons, K.L. Webber, T. Buchholz, 1998, "Rare earth elements (REE) mineralization of pegmatites in the Wausau Complex, Marathon County, Wisconsin", Rochester Mineralogical Symposium, Contributed papers in specimen mineralogy, Abst.,rocks and Minerals, vol. 74, #3, p. 184.
Hawley, J. E. and A.P. Beavan,1934, "Mineralogy and Genesis of the Mayville Iron Ore of Wisconsin", The American Mineralogist, vol. 19 #11, p. 493-514.
Heyl, Allen V., 1964, "Enargite in the Zinc-lead Deposits of the Upper Mississippi Valley District",
The American Mineralogist, vol. 49, p.1458-1460.
- ,A. f. Agnew, E.J. Lyons, E. J. and C.H. Behre Jr., 1959, The Geology of Upper Mississippi Valley zinc-lead District: USGS Prof. Paper 309, 310pp.
- , Charles Milton and Joseph Axelrod, 1959b, "Nickel
Minerals from near Linden, Iowa County, Wisconsin, American Mineralogist,
vol. 44, p. 995-1009.
- and W.S. West, 1982, "Outlying Mineral Occurrences related to the Upper Mississippi Valley Mineral District, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, and Minnesota", Economic Geology , vol. 77 #8, p. 1803-1817.
- , W. A. Broughton and W.S. West, 1970, Guidebook to the Upper Mississippi Valley Base Metal District: Wisconsin Geologial and Natural History Survey Inf. Circ. 16, 49 p. Also revised 1978.
Hobbs, William H. , 1892 "Note on Cerussite from Illinois and Wisconsin",
Wisconsin Acad. of Science, Arts, and Letters. Transaction, Vol. 8, p.
- 1894, "On a Recent Diamond Find in Wisconsin and on the Probable Source of this and Other Wisconsin Diamonds," The American Geologist", Vol. 14, p. 31-37.
- 1895, "A Contribution to the Mineralogy of Wisconsin," Bulletin of the University of Wisconsin, Science Series, Vol. 1 #4 p. 109-156.
- , 1899, "The Diamond Fields of the Great Lakes." Journal of Geology, Vol. 7 #4, p. 375-388.
- "Emigrant Diamonds in America," Smithsonian Inst. Ann. Rpt, p. 359-366.
- 1903, "Meteorite From Algoma, Wisconsin," Geological Society of America. Bull. Vol. 14, p. 97-116.
- 1905, "Contributions from the Mineralogical Laboratory of the University of Wisconsin." American Geologist. Vol. 36, p. 179-180.
Holliday, Robert W., 1955, Investigation of the Chippewa Copper- Nickel Prospect near Rockmont, Douglas Co., Wisconsin: U.S. Bureau Mines Report Inv. 5114, 11 p.
Hollister, V. and M.L. Cummings, 1982 "A Summary of the Duval Massvie Sulfide Deposit, Marinette County, Wisconsin", Geoscience Wisconsin, Vol 6, p.11-20.
Holm, D; Jercinovic and William, W., 2001, "Initial results of in situ electron microprobe (EMP) age dating of monazite from the southern Lake Superior region: confirmation of wide-spread Geon 17 metamorphism", Abst., Institute on Lake Superior Geology, 47th annual meeting, Madison, WI, vol. 47, part 1, p. 30.
Hosterman, J.W., Allen Heyl and Janice Jolly, 1964, "Qualitative X-ray Emission Analysis Study of Enrichment of Common Elements in Wall Rock Alteration in the Upper Mississippi Valley Zinc-Lead District", U.S.G.S. Prof. Paper, 501-D, p. D54-D60.
Hotchkiss, W.O. , E.F. Bean and O.W.Wheelwright, 1915, Mineral Land Classification in part of Northwestern Wisconsin: Wis. Geol. and Nat. History Survey, Bull. 44 (econ. series 19) 378 p.
Huber, N. King, 1959, "Some Aspects of the origin in the Ironwood iron formation of Michigan and Wisconsin: Economic Geology, vol. 54 #1, p. 82-118.
Inst. on Lake Superior Geology, 1973, Precambian geology of Northeastern and Northcentral Wisconsin; Wisc. Geol. and Nat. Histroy Survey, Guidebook, 19th An. Inst., 86 p.
Irving, R.D., 1874, "On the occurrence of gold and silver in minute quantities in quartz from Clark County" Wisconsin
Academy Sci. Arts and Letters, Trans. Vol. 2, p. 140-141.
- 1876, "On Kaolin in Wisconsin": Wisconsin Acad. Sci. Arts and Letters Transactions, Vol. 3, p. 3-30.
- 1882, "Minerals of Wisconsin" Chapter II in Camberlain, T.C. Geology of Wisconsin Survery of 1873-1879, Vol. I, p. 309-339.
- 1883a, The Copper-Bearing Rock of Lake Superior, USGS Memoir, Vol. 5, 464 pp.
- 1883b, "Iron Ores" in Geology of Wisconsin, Vol. I, Part III, p. 613-636.
- 1883c, "Lithology of Wisconsin" in Geology of Wisconsin, Vol. I, p. 340-361.
Johnson, R.W. and J.T. Mengel, 1969, "The Geology of the South Range Quadrangle, Douglas County, Wisconsin" abst., Inst. Lake Superior Geology, 15th Annual Conference Technical Services, W.S.U.--Oshkosh, p. 20-21.
Jones, Casey, J. Jones and G. LaBerge, 1999, The Flambeau Mine, Ladysmith, WI, The Mineralogical record, vol. 30, p. 107- 131.
Jones, David G., 1978a, "Geology of the Iron Formation and Associated Rocks of the Jackson County Iron Mine, Jackson County, WI", Inst. Lake Superior Geology, 24th Annual Meetings, Proceedings, p. 19.
- 1978b, Geology of the Iron Formation and Associated Rocks of the Jackson County Iron Mine, Jackson County, Wisconsin: unpublished M.S. Thesis, U.W.-Madison: 117 p.
Katzman, Michael M., 1968, "The Mellen Granite, Mellen, Wisconsin": Compas, Vol. 45, #2, p. 113-121.
Kennedy, L.P., T.A. Harding, J.N. Schaff & A.M. Zielinski, 1991, "The Lynne Massive Sulfide Deposit, Oneida County, Wisconsin", [abst], Institute on Lake Superior Geology Proceedings, 37th Annual Meeting, Eau Claire, WI., 1991, Vol. 37, part 1, p. 63.
Kimball, Karen, 1979, "Co-existing amphiboles at Black River Falls, Wisconsin",
Abst. 25th Annual Institute on Lake Superior Geology, Duluth, U of M-Duluth,
- and Frank S. Spear, 1984, "Metamorphic Petrology of the Jackson County Iron Formation, Wisconsin", Canadian Mineralogist, Vol. 22, p. 605-619.
King, F.H., 1882, "Geology of the Upper Flambeau Valley" in Geology of Wisconsin, Survey of 1873-1879, Vol. IV, Wis. Geol. Surv., p. 585-615.
Klemic, Harry and W. West, 1964, Geology of the Belmont and Calamine Quadrangles, WI, USGS Bull. 1123-G.
- and Mary Mrose, 1972, Geologic relations and x-ray crystallography of wavellite from Jackson County, Wisconsin and their geologic implications, U.S.G.S. Professional Paper 800-C, p. C-53 - C-62.
- and J. Ohlson,1973, Guidebook to the Geology and Mineral Deposits of the Central Part of Jackson County and part of Clark County, Wisconsin, Guidebook 19th Annual I.C.S.G., Wisc. Geol. Nat. Hist. Surv., 27 p.
Klewin, Kenneth, 1987, The Petrology and Geochemistry of the Keweenawan Potato River Intrusion, Northern Wisconsin; unpub. Ph.D. Thesis, Northern Illinois University, 357 p.
- James Olmsted and Karl Seifert; 1989, "Rock types and relationships of the Mellen Igneous Complex - a one day field trip to the Keweenawan of the Mellen, Wisconsin Area" Proceedings, 35th Meeting, Institute on Lake Superior Geology, Vol. 2, p. C1 - C-15.
Koehler, Steve, 1988, "A Lithium Rich Pegmatite Fern Township, Florence County, WI" unpublished
report, UWRF, 8 p.
- 1989, "A possible Ta-Bearing Province in Florence County, Wisconsin, G.S.A. Abstracts with Programs, 23rd North Central Section, Vol. 21, #4, p. 39.
Komatar, F.D., 1972, Geology of the Amimikian Metasedimentary rocks, Mellen Granite and Mineral Lake Gabbro west of Mellen, Wisconsin: unpub. M.S. Thesis, UW-Madison, 70 p.
Kopp, R.A. and Ronald Willis, 1974, "Paleozoic Rocks of the Eau Claire Area, Guide to Field Trip #2" in P.E. Myers,editor, 38th Annual Tri-State Geological Field Conference Guidebook, UW-Eau Claire, p. 64-100.
Kunz, G.F., 1891, "On the occurrence of diamonds in Wisconsin",
Geol. Soc. Am. Bull. Vol. 2, pp. 638-639.
- 1894, "Mineralogical Notes: Diamonds from Wisconsin", New York Acad. Sciences Transactions, Vol. 13, p. 144-145.
La Berge, Gene L., 1960, "A Leptochlorite (?) From the Florence, Wisconsin Area",
Inst. of Lake Superior Geology, 6th Annual, abstracts, p 21.
- 1964, "Development of Magnetite in iron formations of the Lake Superior region" Econ. Geol. Vol 59, pp 1313-1342.
- 1983, "LaSalle Falls - an exposed massive sulfide deposit in Florence County, Wisconsin", Proceedings 29th Annual Institure on Lake Superior Geology, Michigan Tech U., Houghton, Michigan, p. 26.
- 1984, "The Geologic History of Wisconsin": Rocks and Minerals, Vol 59 #2, pg 60-73.
- 1994, Geology of the Lake Superior Region, Geoscience Pres., 298 p.
- and Leonard Weis, 1968, "A Greenstone Belt in Central Wisconsin?" Guidebook. Fn 32nd Annual Tristate Geological Conference, 42 p.
- and P. Myers, 1983, Precambrian Geology of Marathon County, Wisconsin, Wisc. Geological and Natural History Survey, Information Circular 45, 88p.
- J.S. Klasner and P. Myers, 1991 "New Observations on the Age and Structure of Protcisstoic Quartzites in Wisconsin", in P.K. Sims & L.M.H. Carter editors, Contributions to Precambrian Geology of the Lake Superior Region, U.S. G.S. Bulletin 1904, p.B-1 - B-18.
LaBerge, G.L., Ed., 1996, Volcanogenic massive sulfide deposits of northern Wisconsin: A commemorative volume: Institute on Lake Superior Geology, Proceedings, 42 nd. Annual Meeting, Cable, WI, part 2, 179 p
Lahr, Melvin, 1973, "Precambrian Geology of a Greenstone Belt in Oconto County, Wisconsin and Chemistry of the Waupee Volcanics", Abst. Inst. lake Superior Geology, Houghton, Mich, Mich. Tech. Univ. paper 11.
Lambe, Robert N. and Roger Rowe, 1987, "Volcanic History, Mineralization and Alteration of the Crandon Massive Sulfide Deposit, Wisconsin", Economic Geology, vol. 82, p. 1204-1238.
Lapham, I.A., 1877, "Annual Report for 1873", in Geology of Wisconsin, Survey of 1873-1877 Vol II p. 1-44.
La Point, Paul R., 1976, Structure and Petrology of the Keweenawan Volcanic Rocks, Mellen - Grandview Area, WI, unpub. M.S. Thesis, U.W. - Madison, 81 p.
Lasmanis, Raymond, 1989, "Galena From Mississippi Valley - Type Deposits", Rocks and Minerals, Vol. 64 #1, p. 11-34.
Lawson, Publius V., 1906, Story of the Rocks and Minerals of Wisconsin: Appleton, WI, Post Pub. Co. 202 p.
Laybourn, D.P., 1979, Geology and Metamorphism of the Ironwood Iron Formation, Gogebic Range, Wi., Unpub. M.S. Thesis, U of M - Duluth, 223 p.
Leighton, M. W., 1954, "Petrogenesis of a Gabbro - Granophyre complex in Northern Wisconsin" Geol. Soc. Amer. Bull. , vol. 65, p. 401-442.
Leith, C.K., 1904, "Iron and Manganese - the Lake Superior Iron Region during 1903", USGS Bull 225, P. 215-220.
Lincoln, F.C., 1946, Exploration of the Defense Zinc Property, Iowa County, Wisconsin ,U.S. Bureau of Mines, Report of Invertigation 3948, 7 p.
Lovvik, D.V., 1976, "Chippewa Amphibolites: a new collecting material", Rockhound, vol. 5 #6, p. 16-18.
Ludvigson, G.A. and R.A. Anderson, 1986, "The Douglas Fault at Amnicon Falls State Park, Wisconsin: Brittle Cataclastic Textures in Keweenawan Rocks" Proceeding and Abstracts, 32nd Annual Institue on Lake Superior Geology, Wisconsin Rapids, p. 92.
Luther, Frank, 1997, "The Precambrian Waterloo quartzite, Dodge and Jefferson County, Wisconsin - Petrologic, Structural and Industrial Uses" in Mudrey, M. edited, Guide to field Trips in Wisconsin Wisconsin and adjacent Minnesota, 31st North Central G. S. A. Meeting, Madison wisconsin, p .95 - 114.
Maas, R.S., 1977, Structure and Petrology of an Early to Middle Precambrian Gneiss Terrance between Steven's Point and Wisconsin Rapids, WI Unpub. M.S. Thesis, U.W. - Madison, 128 p.
- L.G. Medaris, and W.R. Van Schlmus, 1980, "Penokean deformation in central Wisconsin", in Selected Studies of Archean Gneiss and Lower Proterozoic Rocks, kSouthern Canadian Shield edited by G.B. Morey and G.N. Hanson, G.S. A. Special Paper 182, p. 147-158.
- and W.R. Van Schmus, 1981, "Archean and Proterozoic Rocks of Central Wisconsin", 1981. Archean Geochemistry Field Conference, Upper Peninsula of Michigan and Northern Wisconsin p. 65-87.
Mancuso, Joseph and R.H. Motten, 1980, "Geology of the Mc Caslin Range, Northeastern, Wisconsin", abst. 26th Annual Institute on Lake Superior Geology, Proceedings and Abstracts, p. 62-63. UW Eau Claire.
Martin, Robert F. and Alexander U Falster, 1986, "Proterozoic Sanidine and Microcline in pegnatite, Wausau Complex, WI"' Canadian Mineralogist, Vol 24, p. 709-716.
Maslowski, Andy, 1985, "Placer Gold in the Midwest", Gems and Minerals , # 571, p. 48-49.
May, Edwarde R., 1977, "Flambeau - A Precambrian Supergene Enriched Massive Sulfide Deposit",
Geoscience Wisconsin, Vol.1 pp. 1-26.
- "Eisenbrey: A structurally complex Proterozoic copper-zinc massive sulfide deposit, Rusk County, Wisconsin", in LaBerge, G.L., Ed, Volcanogenic massive sulfide deposits of northern Wisconsin: A commemorative volume: Institute on Lake Superior Geology, Proceedings, 42 nd. Annual Meeting, Cable, WI, part 2, p. 107-128.
- and P.G. Schmidt, 1982, "The Discovery, Geology, and Minerology of The Crandon Precambrian Massive Sulphide Deposit, Wisconsin" in Precambrian Supfide Deposits, ed. by R.W. Hutchinson, C.D. Spence and T.M. Franklin, Geological Association of Canada, Special Paper 25, p. 447-480.
- and Stephen R. Dinkowitz, 1996, "An Overview of the Flambeau Supergene Enriched Massive Sulfide Deposit Geology and Mineralogy, Rusk county, WI" in LaBerge, G.L., Ed, Volcanogenic massive sulfide deposits of northern Wisconsin: A commemorative volume: Institute on Lake Superior Geology, Proceedings, 42 nd. Annual Meeting, Cable, WI, part 2, p. 67-94.
Mc Carthy Jr., J.H., R. Lambe, and J.A. Dietrich, 1986, "A case study of soil gases as an exploration guide in glaciated terranes: Crandon Massive Sulfide deposit, Wisconsin": Econ. Geol. Vol. 81, p. 408-420.
Mc Limans, R.K., H.L. Barnes, and H. Ohinsto, 1980, "Sphalerite Stratigraphy of the Upper Mississippi Valley Zinc - Lead District, Southwest Wisconsin", Economic Geology, Vol. 75 #3, p. 351-361.
Medaris, L.G. , 2000, "The Barron Saprolite: confirmation of mature chemical weathering in the source of Paleoproterozoic quartz arenites in the Lake Superior region ",
Abst., Institute on Lake Superior Geology, 46th Annual Meeting, Pt. 1,
Programs and Abstracts, p. 37-38.
- and S. Guggenheim, 1983, "An Occurrence of Agrellite and Miserite in the Wausau Complex, Marathon County, Wisconsin" in 1983 Mineralogical Society of Amer. Symposium on Alkaline Complexes, Wausau, Wisconsin.
- and Fournelle, J.H., 1998, "Svanbergite in the Baraboo Quartzite: Significance for Diagenetic Processes and Phosphorus Flux in Precambrian Oceans", Institute on Lake Superior Geology, 44th Annual Meeting, Pt. 1, Programs and Abstracts, p. 91-92.
- and Dott, R., 2001, Sedimentologic, tectonic and metamorphic istory of the Baraboo Interval: New evidence from investigations in the Baraboo Range, Wisconsin: Institute on Lake Superior Geology, Proceedings, 47th Annual Meeting, Madison, WI, vol. 47, p. 1-21.
- Fournelle, J. and Henry D., "Tourmaline-bearing quartz veins in the Baraboo Quartzite, Wisconsin: Occurrence and significance of foitite and oxy-foitite, The Canadian Mineralogist, vol. 41, p. 749-758.
Middleton, M.D., and I.S. Wiliams, 1989, "Stratigraphy and Structural Setting of the Prairie du Chien Group in the Beyer Quarry" in Williams, I.S. edited "Paleography and Structure of the St. Croix River Valley", Guidebook for the 57nd Annual Tristate Geological Field Conference, UW-RF. p. 56-63.
Mengel, J.T., editor, 1971, "The Geology of the Twin Ports Area, Wisconsin - Minnesota", Guidebook 35th Annual Tri-State Field Conference, Geology Dept., Wisconsin State University - Superior. 71 pp.
Mertens, Matthew, 1996, "The Vulcan Materials Quarry - Racine, Wisconsin", in Urban and Shoreline Geology of Southeastern Wisconsin, Guidebook for the 25th UW-System Undergraduate Geology Field Conference, edited by W. Kean and J. Webster, p.73-77
Motti, J; T. Buchholz, A.U. Falster, W.B. Simmons and K.L. Webber, 1999, "Copper, silver and gold from the Flambeau Mine, Ladysmith, Rusk County, WI", Rochester Mineralogical Symposium, Contributed papers in specimen mineralogy, Abst.,Rocks and Minerals. vol. 74, #3, p. 186-187.
Mudrey, M.G., editor, 1978, Upper Mississippi Vally Base Metal District Wisc. Geological and Natural History Survey Field Trip Guidebook 1, 39 p.
- 1979a, Middle Precambrian Geology of Northern Wisconsin, Wisc. Geological and Natural History Survery, Field Trip Guidebook #4, 44 pp.
- 1979b, Status Report: The Massive Sulfide Occurrances in Wisconsin, Wisc. Geological and Natural History Survery, Miscellaneous Paper 79-2, 20 pp.
Mullens, Thomas E., 1964, Geology of the Cuba City, New Diggings and Shullsburg Quadrangles, WI and IL, USGS Bulletin 1123-H, pp.437-531.
Mursky, Gregory, J. Anderson, T.Cook and W. Meddaugl, 1989, "Uranium and thorium in selected Precambrian rock units in Wisconsin", Geoscience Wisconsin, Vol. 13, p. 35-61.
Myers, Paul and Gene La Berge,1971, Wausau Field Trip, 27th Annual Tristate Field Conference 15 p.
-., Edwarde May, Michael Cumings, and Douglas Maercklein, 1974, Guide to Field Trip #1, Precambrian Rocks of the Chippewa Region, 30th Annual Tristate Geological Field Conference, UW - Eau Claire, 125 p.
- Muhan Sood, Louis Berlin and Al Falster, 1984, The Wausau Syenite Complex, Central Wisconsin, 30th Annual Institute on Lake Superior Geology, Field Trip #3, 58 p.
Nelson, Katherine, and J. Roberts, 1963, "The Milwaukee Formation along Lake Michigan's Shore": Wis. Acad. Sci, Arts & Letters, Trans., Vol. 56, p. 77-81.
Newton, H.A. , 1893, "Lines of structure in the Winnebago County Meteorites and in other Meteorites", American Journal of Science, vol. 45, series 3, p. 152-153.
Nielsen, Peter, 1984, "Metamorphic Conditions and Evolution of a Supracrustal Sequence Intruded by the Dunbar Genesis, Florence and Marinette Counties, Northeastern, Wisconsin",
30th Annual Institute on Lake Superior Geology, Abstracts, Wausau, WI,
- 1986, "Metamorphism of the Dunbar Gneiss and Associated Supra-Crustal Rocks: Northeastern Wisconsin, U.S. A.", Proceedings and abstracts, 32nd Annual Institute on Lake Superior Geology, Wisconsin Rapids, p. 61-62.
Nilsen, T.H., 1964, "Geology of the Pine River (Breakwater) quartzite conglomerate and the Keyes Lake quartzite, Florence County, WI", Abstracts, 10th Annual Institute of Lake Superior Geology, Ishpeming, Mich., p. 23-25.
North, H. B., 1913, "Pseudomorphs of Limonite After Marcasite", American Journal of Science, vol. 35, #4, p. 270-272.
Ockerman, J. W., 1930, "A Petrographic Study of the Madison and Jordan Sandstones of Southern Wisconsin", Jour. Geology, vol. 38, p. 346-353.
Odom, I. E., 1975, "Feldspar--grain size relation in Cambrian arenites, Upper Mississippi Valley",
Jour. Sed. Pet. Vol 45 #3, P.636-650.
- editor, 1978, Lithostratigraphy--Petrology and sedimentology of Late Cambrian--Early Ordovician Rocks Near Madison, WI, Wis. Geol. Nat. Hist. Survey, Field Trip Guidebook 3, p. 142.
- T.N. Willard, and R.J. Lassin, 1979, "Paragenesis of diagenetic minerals in the St. Peter Sandstone (Ordovician), Wisconsin and Illinois", in Aspects of Diagenesis, edited by P. Scholle and P. Schluger, Soc. Econ. Paleo and Min. Special Publicaitons #26, p. 425-443.
Olcott, Perry G., 1970, "Report of sinkholes near Knapp, Dunn Co., WI": Wisconsin Speleologist, Vol. 9, #2, p. 44-45.
Olmsted, J.F., 1979, "Crystallization history & textures of the Rearing Pond Gabbro, northwestern Wisconsin", American Mineralolgist, Vol 64, #7-8, P. 844-858.
Olsen, Edward, 1962, "Nickelferous lazulite from Baraboo, Wisconsin", American Mineralogist, Vol 47, p. 773-774.
Olson, Edwin, 1953, "History of Diamonds in Wisconsin", Gems and Gemology , Vol 7, #9, p. 284-285.
Olson, Jean, 1984, "The Geology of the Lower Protcrozoic Mc Caslin Formation, Northeastern Wisconsin", Geoscience Wisconsin, Vol. 9, , p. 1-19.
Ostrum, M.E. and G.F. Hanson, 1961, Mineral and Rock Collecting in Wisconsin, Wisconsin Geol. Nat. History Survey Circular, 12p.
Return to Wisconsin Mineral Index Page